Sometimes, people who attend training courses say they enjoy them because they are different form their normal work days and are a nice break. They sometimes think of a training course as a mini holiday. Fortunately most people also realise that they are also there to learn.
In this short training game we will be combining the idea that the training is a mini holiday with the main reason for attending - the learning.
Instructions to run the training game, 'Holiday Postcards' can be downloaded from the link at the bottom of this page, or you can follow the notes below. You will also need to obtain some holiday postcards to distribute to participants.
Each participant needs to have one post card at the start of the activity.
1. Make sure everyone in the room has a post card.
2. Explain that you want them to write a personal message to the group. Tell them that the message must contain a key learning point from the training and may include a holiday message if they choose.
Give an example of what you mean. (e.g. Having a Lovely time and we visited the importance of rapport building today).
Ask participants to leave plenty of room on the card for other participants to add messages of their own.
3. Now ask participants to pass the card to the person on their right. Tell them that you now want them to read the message on the new card and add a different one of their own.
4. Once again ask participants to pass the card to the person on their right and again read the messages already there. They should again add a message of their own.
5. Keep going until each card contains at least six messages.
6. Collect the cards and read out some of the messages that have been written.
7. After the session place the cards into envelopes. Then address and send one of the cards to each of the participants.
This will serve as a timely reminder of what they learned. If you think it is necessary you can add a message to each card before putting it into the envelope. You can tailor this message to the individual you will be posting it to.
Use this training game to help embed the key learning points from a training session.