Anyone that works in a retail customer service role would benefit from these tips.
Training course contents:
A set of tips providing guidance on the requirements of a good retail customer service can be downloaded for free from the link at the bottom of this page, or you can follow the notes below…
20 Customer Service Tips – Retail Customers
1. Remember that you are in business to service customer needs
2. Always smile when greeting a customer in person
3. Be proactive and ask how you may be of service.
4. Stay visible and available, but don’t crowd the customer or hover
5. Try to understand the needs of your customers by listening, questioning and observing
6. Always look for ways to help the customer even if this is not easy
7. The customer standing in front of you takes precedence over a phone call
8. If you don’t know the answer, offer to find out and make sure that you follow up on this
9. If a customer wants something that isn’t on display try to find it for them
10. Don’t let chatty customers monopolise your time if others are waiting
11. Call for backup support as soon as queues start forming or better still if you can see that they are about to form
12. Never discuss customers in front of other customers
13. Inspect merchandise before bagging it to make sure it’s not defective or the wrong size.
14. Make sure customers receive everything they’ve paid for before they leave your store
15. Smile as you are saying goodbye and encourage the customer to come again.
16. If a customer makes a request for something special, do everything you can to say yes.
17. Learn how to apologise when things go wrong (and do your best to put them right)
18. Treat every customer as an individual so that they feel important and appreciated
19. Try to add value (e.g. offer to double bag heavy items, carry items to the car for them, etc.)
20. When talking to a customer focus 100% of your attention on them
To provide assistance to those working in retail customer service. This tip sheet on customer service would be a good additional document when using the Trainer Bubble training course materials for the following topics…
Effective Customer Care – Training Course Materials
Customer Excellence – Training Course Materials