Everybody – we all have to negotiate at some time!
Training course contents:
A set of tips providing guidance on how to negotiate effectively can be downloaded for free from the link at the bottom of this page, or you can follow the notes below…
20 Negotiating Tips
1. Establish Rapport and create a relationship
2. Do your research
4. Know your bottom line.
5. Establish a fall-back plan
6. Aim high – what is your ideal outcome
7. Question and listen
8. Don’t be afraid to ask for what you want and don’t be afraid to go first
9. Don’t be in a hurry.
10. Give the other person room – you both need thinking time
11. Always be willing to walk away.
12. Show the other person how their needs will be met.
13. Don’t give anything away without getting something in return.
14. Don’t take the issues or the other person’s behavior personally.
15. Make a list of concessions or extras you could offer that in reality make no difference to you.
16. Only make concessions for a reason. (e.g. you are getting something back in return)
17. Practice negotiating in situations where you have nothing to lose.
18. Remember that there is no substitute for discussion.
19. Keep reminding yourself that it is not about winning and losing.
20. Agree what has been agreed at the end of the negotiation
To provide assistance to anyone who ever has to negotiate. This tip sheet on negotiating would be a good additional document when using the Trainer Bubble training course materials for the following topics…
The Art of Negotiation – Training Course Materials
Influencing Skills – Training Course Materials
The Power of Influence – Training Course Materials