This quick free energiser helps demonstrate that once something has been said, it is often impossible to take it back.
Training course contents:
A set of instructions for the free energiser, ‘Back in the Tube’ can be downloaded from the link at the bottom of this page. You can also follow the notes for the energiser below.
- A tube of toothpaste
- A bowl
- Ask for a participant to volunteer and join you at the front of the room.
- Hand them the tube of toothpaste and the bowl.
- Ask them to squeeze the toothpaste into the bowl.
- Once they have done this say, ‘Now put it back in the bowl’. When they say that they can’t, say, ‘Go on, put it back in the bowl’. At this point they will either laugh, or gain say that they can’t.
- Ask them if they are sure they can’t put it back in the tube and when they agree, ask them to return to their seat.
- Explain to participants that the toothpaste is much like negative, rude or unkind comments. Once they are out, they are impossible to put back. This should lead onto a further discussion about the impact of words and negative communication.
This free energiser is great for demonstrating the impact of negativity and how unkind words can affect people and never be removed.