This free energiser is useful when you want to emphasise the importance of working together and including others. It is particularly good for teambuilding training, leadership skills and courses where you want to show how important it is to include people.
Training course contents:
A free set of instructions for the energiser, ‘Catch’ can be downloaded from the link at the bottom of this page. Alternatively, you can follow the instructions below.
Materials – A soft ball
Instructions – Without introduction of any kind, begin to play catch with only one member of the group. Don’t make any comment, just begin to pass a ball backwards and forwards between you and the chosen participant.
After a minute or two, slowly bring in other people into the game of catch. Do this until everyone is included and you are no longer the focus of the game. If you do seem to get the ball more than others, begin to pull away from the game, make it clear that everyone else should be involved.
Once this has gone on for some time, bring the game to a close and lead a discussion about what took place.
1. How did the group feel when they weren’t involved?
2. How did the initial participant feel when only they were included?
3. Was their more integration and happiness and smiles when everyone was included? If so, why?
4. What does this tell us about teamwork and what did we learn?
5. How can we improve group work in our team?
6. What lesson can you take back to the workplace?
This energiser is useful helping participants appreciate the value of working as a team and how it can feel to be isolated.