This training activity works well as an energiser. However, it is probably of most value when used during a programme involving team working and/or team building and/or communication skills. We particularly like to use this with people who are not used to working together.
Training course contents:
You will need to download the full instructions to help you run the energiser, ‘Clothesline’ from the link at the bottom of this page. This contains the extra Clothes Line Task Sheet document.
Each team will need:
- Clothes Line Task Sheet (download from link at bottom of this page)
- Two chairs
- Length of string at least 2.5 metres long
- Business Card
- Sheet of A4 paper
- Rubber band
- Plastic or paper cup
- Paper clip
- Large envelope
- 8 clothes pegs
You may also want to include some small prizes in your resources.
1. Form the group into two teams or more teams.
2. Give each team a blindfold and a large envelope containing all the other materials.
3. Ask the teams to select someone to be blindfolded and blindfold them.
4. Inform the teams that they may now open their envelopes, make sure they know that the envelopes contains, amongst other things, the instructions for this exercise.
5. Give them the chance to read the instructions before starting the exercise.
6. At the end of the activity lead a discussion to discuss the challenges the teams faced and how they coped with them.
7. Consider offering a small prize to the team to complete the task first.
Use this energiser to help energise participants during a training session
To help participants consider the challenges they face when working together in teams