This free energiser focuses on communication and how we can become confused when we are not able or do not communicate effectively. It is a great way of emphasising key issues with communication in the workplace and would support any training course involving communication skills.
Training course contents:
A set of instructions for the energiser, ‘Communicards’ can be downloaded for free from the link at the bottom of this page, or you can follow the notes below.
• A pack of playing cards for each group of four participants
1. Place participants into groups of four and provide each group with a pack of playing cards
2. Give each of the participants a sheet of paper with their specific instructions for the game they are about to play. Only they should see this.
Note: Each participants rule will be different e.g.…
a) Black cards always win
b) The highest card wins the round
c) The lowest card wins the round
d) Face cards (king, queen, jack) beat all other cards
3. Ask the participants to start playing the game by playing one card in turn. It’s important to note that ‘THEY SHOULD NOT TALK’
4. Allow the participants to play for about 5 minutes and to start becoming frustrated
5. Stop the game and then have a group discussion about what the issues are when you can’t or don’t communicate, the frustrations and feelings that this provokes
6. Transfer this learning to the training point or issues in the workplace
This helps discuss the problems with effective communication.
This energiser is great for exploring concepts around effective communication and how we need to communicate in order to aim towards the same outcomes and objectives.