This free energiser focuses on communication and how we can all interpret instructions and information differently. It is a great way of emphasising key issues with communication in the workplace and would support any training course involving communication skills.
A set of instructions for the free energiser, ‘Fold and Cut’ can be downloaded for free from the link at the bottom of this page, or you can follow the notes below.
- A sheet of A4 paper for each participant
- Provide each participant with a sheet of A4 paper
- Ask them to close their eyes and follow your instructions carefully.
- Keep your eyes closed until I ask you to open them
- Fold your sheet in half
- Fold the top right corner down until it meets with the left side of the paper
- Fold the bottom half of the paper up until it is hallway up the sheet
- Tear a small, thumb sized hole on the right hand side of the sheet
- Fold the sheet in half again
- Tear a hole at the top right of the sheet
- Unfold the sheet completely and fold in half once
- ***Keep providing instructions until you feel enough has been done***
- Ask participants to open their eyes and unfold their sheet of paper
- They should display their sheet to the group
- Ask if there are any sheets of paper that match
It is very unlikely that any of the sheets are the same. This helps prompt a discussion on ‘if you all received the same instructions, why have you all ended up with different results?’
This helps discuss the problems with effective communication.
This energiser is great for exploring concepts around effective communication and how information can be misinterpreted if not presented correctly.