Use this free training game to help consolidate key learning points in a training event.
Instructions to run a multi-sensory consolidation training game exercise can be downloaded from the link at the bottom of this page, or you can follow the notes below.
This training game taps into all five of our senses. Be warned – you will have to do a little cooking the day before, but it is worth the effort.
This training game is a little different to what most learners experience so will be memorable for participants.
You will be making some Fortune Cookies.
You will need the following:
- 2 egg whites
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Small pinch of salt
- 35 grams of flour
- 50 grams white sugar
- 2 sheets of white paper
- Pen or pencil
Make sure you have at least one fortune cookie for each course participant.
1. Cut the paper into 7cm x 1cm strips.
2. Write a short question about a key learning point on each piece of paper. You must have these ready before you have finished baking.
3. Whisk the egg whites and vanilla extract in a bowl until they are fluffy but not stiff.
4. Mix the flour salt and sugar into the egg whites.
5. Place teaspoons of the mix 10 cm apart on a baking tray. Tilt the tray to make circles of batter about 7 or 8 cm in diameter. Make sure the baking tray as a warm tray will make the cookies cook too quickly.
6. Bake for 5 minutes at gas mark 6 or 200 degrees centigrade or until the cookies are golden at their edges.
7. Take the cookies out of the oven and remove them with a wide spatula. Then place them upside down on a wooden board. Place a question in the centre of each cookie and fold the cookie in half around the question. It is important to work fast as you do not want the cookie to set before you finish.
8. Pick up the folded cookies and fold them in half again. We suggest you use oven gloves to handle them.
During the training
1. Hand out the fortune cookies so that each participant has one each.
2. Participants take it in turn to read out their questions. Their fellow participants call out the answers.
This training game is useful to help participants consolidate key learning points in a training session in a memorable way. We think there are benefits in using this training game during any training course.