Most of us face one great challenge at work; balancing our own priorities with those of our manager. Understanding what is important to our manager, and knowing how they prefer to work and communicate allows us to work more effectively and provide a greater number of opportunities.
These Managing Upwards training course materials will provide your participants with the tools and techniques required to effectively work with their managers. The content will help them adapt their own approach to work in such a way that they can develop a positive work relationship with their manager, which in turn will improve their personal skills and make them a more effective employee.
The course will benefit anyone that wants to build a positive working relationship with their manager with the aim of creating new workplace opportunities.
Training course contents:
Help build effective working relationships between managers and employees in your organisation
These training course materials will provide you with everything you need to effectively develop the skills of people working with managers within your organisation. They will be taken through the key requirements of managing upwards; developing a wide understanding of the tools and techniques required to effectively improve communication and affect change.
Why is running this managing upwards training course a good idea?
Well, just imagine if your participants were better able to:
- Work effectively with their manager, building their skills and becoming a key asset.
- Be more inclined to challenge decisions and work with their manager to find solutions.
- Appreciate the difficulties their manager faces and support them through them.
- Develop communication skills to help influence and persuade effectively.
- Understand their manager’s work style and how this might affect their thinking.
- Simply apply core communication skills, for overall organisational success.
Ultimately these training course materials allow you to improve relations and communication between employees and managers within your organisation. Making them better able to effectively resolve challenges and consequently assist the organisation in meeting its business goals.
Why use training materials created by Trainer Bubble?
- When you’re busy or under pressure at work, you save time and stress by using our ready-made professional training materials.
- Our materials come with no restrictions: you can edit content, add your company branding and use as many times as you wish.
- Whether you’re an experienced trainer or nervous first-timer, our training materials give you everything you need to deliver a confident and successful training session: PowerPoint slides, workbooks, session plans, activities/exercises and detailed trainer notes.
- There is no need to wait for delivery. You’ll receive the full course pack in your inbox instantly.
- With a mix of practical exercises and trainer led material, your attendees will remain engaged throughout, while you take credit for a professional and effective training course.
- And when budgets are tight but you still need results, Trainer Bubble courses are great value for money. Train a whole team or even a whole company for much less than the cost of sending a single participant on a standard training course.
Samples of training course materials
Please click on image for larger view…
We all need to be able to communicate effectively with people within our organisation and the way we interact with peers and our own employees should be no different to the way we interact with our manager. In practice, it can sometimes seem difficult to address your manager and it would be useful to have an understanding of the best way to approach communication with those people in roles ‘above’ our own. Being able to influence upwards will not only benefit your own career, it will also ensure your manager has the support needed to ensure your organisation meets its goals.
Managing up is a skill that every employee needs to learn. Recognise that it is YOUR responsibility to build this critical relationship. This attitude will get you the results you want. Understand the manager’ priorities, likes and dislikes, sense of urgency and style of communication and target your behaviour accordingly. In many ways, managing up is simply having the right attitude and realising you have the ability to make things better.
These training course materials will give your participants an understanding of the principle of ‘Managing Upwards’ and will equip them with the key techniques to demonstrate this skill.
The main content of the training course materials…
Icebreaker – An exercise that helps set up the training course, while establishing participant experience with managers
Defining ‘Managing Upwards’ – Establishing what managing upwards means, setting the tone for the training course
Understanding Yourself – Identifying what drivers the participants have in order to establish how they will best work with managers
Personal Work Styles – Using an inventory to help understand different work styles, reviewing the participants own styles and what this means and considering different behavioural styles of; Analytical, Driver, Amiable and Expressive
The Four Behavioural Styles Explained – Exploring a case study to apply the behavioural inventory to a real-life example
Understanding Your Manager – Determining the management style of the participant’s manager and comparing them to their own working style to help define the best way of collaborating
A Manager’s Expectations – Establishing what managers want from employees and how they expect the working relationship to evolve
Management Styles – Identifying different management styles, what the impact of these styles might be and how best to work with them
The Benefits of Managing Upwards – Highlighting the benefits of managing upwards and what it means for the manager, the organisation and the employee
Strategies for Managing Upwards – Discussing different strategies for managing upwards and applying this to specific workplace scenarios. A chance to apply these strategies to a practice scenario
Giving Feedback to Your Manager – Understanding how upward feedback works and what is involved
A Model for Giving Feedback – Using a set structure for approaching feedback conversations in a constructive way with a chance to practice the skills
Six Weapons of Influence – Identifying the underlying factors that influence decisions and applying this to personal management scenarios
As with all Trainer Bubble training course materials, this course is highly interactive and includes lots of activities, exercises and practice scenarios.
At the end of this managing upwards training course, your participants will be able to:
- Explain what managing upwards is; and what it is not
- Identify the key challenges to managing upwards
- Understand the needs and expectations of your manager
- Use influencing and persuasion techniques