This free team building game can be used indoors or outdoors and works best with larger groups. The game will help to focus on team skills and encourages participants to communicate and interact.
Training course contents:
A set of instructions for the team building game, ‘Stepping Stones’ can be downloaded for free from the link at the bottom of this page, or you can follow the notes below.
Team Building Game – when reviewing this team building game you can focus on leadership skills, communication, group planning and working together as a team.
Tools – a set of A4 sheets of paper. There must always be less A4 sheets than participants i.e. If you have 15 participants, you only have 10 sheets.
Advise participants as follows:
1. The team are stranded and need to cross a river to get to safety.
2. The only way to cross the river is to use the stepping stones (the A4 sheets, which have already been laid out across the ‘river’).
3. Only one person can step on a stone at any time.
4. Once that person moves from the stone, the stone will sink to the bottom of the river.
5. The task is to get everyone across safely.
6. Your team must communicate effectively to get everyone across.
Answer – the participants must ensure that someone is standing on each of the stones available and once on them do not move off that stone until the rest of the team have moved to safety. So, one person moves onto the first stone, then the next person steps on their toe and then onto the second stone. The third person steps on the toes of both the first and second person and waits on the third stone etc. etc.
Once all of the stones have a person on them, you can start to move participants across and then once all ‘extra’ people are across you can begin to move the first person on the first stone across and then the second until all are safely across.
Review – the review is more important than the task for this team building game. Use the following questions and add in your own…
- What roles did people take in the group?
- Was there a leader? Who? Why?
- Did anyone feel left out? Why?
- What was the action plan?
- How did you communicate?
- What worked well?
- What didn’t work?
- What would you do next time?
When reviewing this team building game you can focus on leadership skills, communication, group planning and working together as a team.
This Team Building Game works well with our Team Building Training Materials.