This free energiser is useful to demonstrate the importance of focusing on the issues that are within our circle of influence rather than those that might be within our area of concern, but are ultimately not able to be resolved by us personally.
This is a very visual and physical demonstration of the futility of putting effort and energy into things that will not or cannot change.
A set of instructions for the energiser, ‘The Wall’ can be downloaded as a Word document for free from the link below, or you can use the notes provided here…
Resources Needed – a wall!
1. Ask the participants to stand facing at arm’s length to the wall. Now, ask them to close their eyes & push the wall with their full strength.
2. The trainer here should generate excitement, motivating the participants to keep pushing the wall with all their strength.
3. The trainer can also add humour to the energiser activity by telling everyone that the wall is actually moving.
4. After 2-3 minutes the trainer should ask the participants to relax & open their eyes. Once the participants are back in their seats, the trainer holds a discussion. Starting with, the feedback – whether the wall has actually moved or not!
5. The answer here would be obviously “NO”. The trainer now talks the participants through to the importance of focusing on their Areas of Influence.
6. The wall here denotes the Area of Concern/Area of Non-Influence. The trainer should state that it is important that we focus on Areas of Control & Influence rather than spending time on issues on which we have no control.
Use this energiser to demonstrate that participants should focus on the things they can change rather than putting energy into things the cannot.