This free energiser is useful to help participants focus on the actions they can take personally to help improve the business. It’s useful where you want them to take ownership of problems and become more responsible.
Training course contents:
A set of instructions for the free energiser, ‘What Can I Do?’ can be downloaded for free from the link at the bottom of this page. You can also see the full energiser instructions below.
Flipchart paper and pens.
- Consider an issue within the organisation where improvement is needed. This should relate to the training that you are running.
- Ask participants to brainstorm some of the issues facing the business that relate to this topic. They should write on the flipchart what needs to be done in the business to improve on that subject.
- Point out to the group this is a list of things that ‘they’ (that is, the organisation) need to do. Ask which of these areas can actually be influenced at a local level by individuals. (What areas can you influence?)
- Highlight the areas that the participants point out by underlining them on the flipchart.
- Ask participants to individually write down examples of things they can do individually (no matter how small) to help improve the problem that they are discussing. Give them 5 minutes to do this.
- Discuss the participants ideas as a wider group.
- Ask participants to write down some actions that they will commit to taking to help overcome the issues raised and to improve the situation in future.
This free energiser helps place ownership of organisational issues with the participants. Helping them to take personal responsibility and look at their own actions.