This free training game can be used to demonstrate the impact of poor communication skills on relationships.
A one page set of instructions that explains the training game, ‘With Interest?’ can be downloaded for free from the link at the bottom of this page, or you can follow the notes below.
Ask participants to work in pairs. One participant in the pair should talk about a topic that is dear to their heart, a favourite holiday, hobby or sport.
The role of the other person is one of total disinterest. They should fidget in their seat, turn away, not look at the person and generally be ignorant.
Review – you should review this session by exploring the following questions with the participants.
1. How did it make you feel to be ignored?
2. How did it feel to do the ignoring?
3. What might be the impact if this continued?
4. In ‘real’ life do you always show as much interest and listen as carefully as you ought?
5. What is the impact of not listening?
6. What would happen if we started to listen and show interest more in people?
7. How do you think we can demonstrate that we are interested?
8. What will be different?
This training game assists participants in developing their communication skills and appreciating the impact their body language has on others.