Cover letters are a necessary part of a job application, but they can be difficult to write. In this short article, we’ll take you through the structure of the perfect cover letter step-by-step:
• Start with contact information. Yours and the company’s contact information should be the address headers of your professional cover letter.
• Add the date. Remember to update this before sending.
• Begin with an opening salutation, using the company manager’s name.
• Write a subject line. For example: “Re: Open Retail Team Leader position”.
• Write the first paragraph. Tell the manager why you’re writing to them, stating the job title and the name of the company clearly. Mention your current or most recent position so they’re aware of how it relates to the role.
• Write the second paragraph. Outline a few skills and experiences which relate to the job position that you’re applying for.
• Write the third paragraph. Further elaborate on your work experiences. Talk about an experience, or extra training that you’ve had, which makes you the best choice for the position.
• Write the closing paragraph. Briefly note what you can offer the company as an employee and how you differ from other applicants.
• Add a closing statement. Politely thank the employer for their time and sign-off with your name.
With these structured points, you should easily be able to craft the perfect cover letter for any standard job application. Remember, it’s not what the company can do for you, it’s what you can do for them.